Friday, October 9, 2009

Tweedledee and Tweedle-me!

There are days when you start to get a feel for the person you married. I think that some people have days when they see a dark side of their spouse that was hidden from them previously, and some people have days when they are pleasantly surprised to find out that their spouse is more like them than they had originally thought. Today was, like, a little from Column A and a little from Column B...

...Who remembers the post where I was doing laundry. Lots of laundry. His and hers laundry. When I went through Edmund's pockets to make sure he hadn't left a coin or two behind him, I found some interesting items. I have always known that my husband has the habit of pocketing paperback-sized chunks of napkins from fast food restaurants, gas stations, and his work coffee dock JUST IN CASE. This is all well and good, except that we have more than enough Kleenex, toilet paper, and paper towels in the apartment to keep a runny nose happy for a year. Oh, and except that by the time it comes out of his pockets it's either wadded into a useless chunk or LAUNDERED. Sometimes I forget to check the pockets and that's when I get white confetti cemented to my clean clothes. This hadn't happened in a while, so I think marriage was satisfying some deep seated childhood need for him, and collection of fast food freebies was his coping mechanism. Or something. Today I was picking up after him, and found wads of napkins. A few feet away, I found paper salt and pepper packets. It was like a Hansel and Gretel trail of psychosis. A few feet beyond that, tea bags.

Later this evening, we were watching The Blues Brothers, and it was the part where the Nazi party are demonstrating on the bridge? You know? No? Okay, well there were Nazis. And Edmund turns to me and says, "Can I be a Nazi, honey?"

It really would take a For Real kook to live with me, and boy howdy, did I find me one.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I like the new look.