Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Apologies for the picture quality.

The other day Edmund was watching the show Supernatural. We generally have similar taste in things, but his nerd tendencies do outstrip mine at times; times like the other night, when I could NOT get him to go to bed because there was a mini-marathon of Stargate SG-1 on. Supernatural is another show that's just a little too much for me (says the woman who watches The Real Housewives of Orange County). When he gets into these things, I want to keep him company but I occupy my mind elsewhere, so I was a few feet away on this here computer. I happened to look up at the television, and this is what I see:


First thought: Something's wrong with the show.

Second thought: There has been a global disaster and instead of interrupting the program they have put a severe-looking woman on the bottom of the screen to deliver the news.

Then I realized it. She's a sign language interpreter! They superimposed her body onto the screen! It must be for the discriminating deaf people who think subtitles are too distracting. A very thoughtful service. On the other hand, even non-deaf people can follow subtitles, but most can't follow signing, so that's discrimination.



And not at all creepy.

No comments: