Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Nest

We're not sure how long we'll be in this apartment, and it's not big enough to fit a lot of furniture into, but I've been trying to nest here in small ways. Our first purchase was a television, and then eventually a rug, clocks, some vases for my fresh flower fetish, and a bookcase followed, thanks in part to the opening of an IKEA in Dublin and its relative affordability next to other Irish retailers. Every time we add something to the place, it feels that much warmer, and I think Oh wow, I don't know if it needs anything else! This just really pulled the room together! Even when all that was in the room to speak of was a television, I was thinking of how warm the TV made the room feel. If that's not a sad indictment of the state of society today then I don't know what is. Those American-Irish are so devoid of any culture that they come over here, suck our cable companies dry, and can't even appreciate a decent mug o' tay. All they need is their precious television and their fast food, bejaise. They're a disgrace and a drain on our already weak economy. If there's ever going to be any progress...

What? Oh, sorry. I got carried away there. I was apparently channeling some curmudgeonly old Irishman for a moment. But I'm better now. What was I saying?

Oh yes. So, little by little, we have added odds and ends to the place to make it more liveable. One of the first things I did was put up these clocks.




The purpose is twofold. First, they are set for Texas, Dublin, and Iraq times, respectively. My friends and family are in Texas, I and my married family are in Ireland, and my father is in Iraq working as a contractor. So I can easily tell what time it is where. Secondly, I am going for the newsroom look you see on old movies and TV shows, where all the time zones of the world are displayed and labeled on different clocks. I just need to find an office supply place or something where I can find the little plaques and have them printed with the city names. What do you think? Good, bad, ugly?

It works in practicality, anyway. And I think they're kinda cool. But give me your input anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea! Somewhat contemporary but a little classic too. I might steal the idea. Massachusetts, Texas and California....

Who am I???

I thought we could make it a fun little game since my Google identity is "Anonymous".