Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Maximum potential

Today when I was trying to think of something interesting to write my mind got tired very suddenly and I wanted a nap. This has been happening a lot since school started back: trying to think of something interesting to write, my mind getting tired, and wanting naps. Not always in that order. What usually happens is 1) I go to school for a couple of hours 2) my mind gets tired and 3) I want a nap. Then later that evening, after I have avoided doing my homework, plucked any chin hairs, eaten like, a stick of butter or something, and made fun of the news with my mom, about midnight I sit in front of the computer and try to think of something to write. No pressure.

I don't necessarily LIKE taking naps despite the fact that they make my world go round, because I usually sleep for 3 hours and feel like I've wasted an afternoon. The real kicker is that as soon as I've crawled into my perfect bed and dreamy dreams are starting to flood around me my phone rings. NEVER FAILS. It can be my long-lost third cousin thrice removed, and they just thought of me and, what the hey, wanted to get in touch with me right THEN. Even people I have just spoken to want to call just to ask if the grass is green in my yard, too. They want to jaw about the weather. They want to set up appointments. They had to hear my voice, or maybe they like the way my number feels under their fingers when they dial it. I don't even know. I can get two or three calls an hour during naptime, and sometimes if I'm lucky someone actually comes over and rings the doorbell. I may not get another phone call all day, but I am never so popular as when I am asleep. Probably for good reason.

Now that I'm used to it, it's actually not as bad as it sounds. I can make people call me just by trying to go to sleep. It's incredible. I need not feel guilty anymore about three so-called "wasted" hours. I am getting all my business done at once. It's like giving myself office hours where nothing gets accomplished until I get lazy.

No comments: