Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fairies live here.

You know why you love me today? Because my husband fixed my computer problem and I can show you pictures. So really, you love him. But he eats sardines and then he farts in bed.

Still love him more than me? I didn't think so.

These are the photos I wanted to post on Halloween. I took them at Glendalough, which is a ruined monastery which is over 1,000 years old. It's in County Wicklow, and it began when a monk, St. Kevin, who was born in Dublin, wanted to get out of civilization and be alone with God. So he went up into the Wicklow Mountains and lived as a hermit, and eventually other monks joined him and formed a monastery there. It is so peaceful and remote you can totally understand why someone would go be a hermit monk there. I almost wanted to be a hermit monk when I left.





Anyway, they have been burying people here for over 1,000 years and the gravestones date from that time. Some stones have disintegrated completely and there is no marking for the graves at all. All the stones here date between then and now.

There's old crosses.



And stones that have been propped up with other stones.



The tidy rows of modern cemeteries got abandoned about, oh, 1103.



These have got to be some of the oldest ones. They're so primitive and completely worn away.



Some have been totally neglected.





It could actually be a totally creepy place, except you just feel so peaceful there. It feels sacred. You turn around and go, I LIVE HERE?





Uh, no. People don't live here. FAIRIES live here.

No comments: