Saturday, October 24, 2009

PRIZES!! A FIRST!! How exciting! Read on to the end!

It seems like I haven't had time to blog lately. Maybe it's the fact that my apartment is completely full of crap and it seems to suck space and time out of my life. I don't know. But last night we managed to break free from the great sucking gravitational pull that is our apartment and go out with some folks. Edmund's company booked a function room over a pub here in The Dub and had a game night: each table was a team of 5 or 6, and there were 10 rounds of trivia.



This was the Cartoon Round. I was surprised that I knew some of these answers. One of the questions was "How tall are The Smurfs?" Anybody know the answer? I didn't. All I can remember about the Smurfs was "La la la la la la, la la la la la..." The losing team after each round had to wear special hats.



Edmund thought they were degrading, but I thought they were funny. It's just my sense of humor, I guess: degrading. But I do take my trivia very seriously. I am pretty good at it, if I do say so, and people who are as serious as I about their trivia know that those who lose must be punished.

It is humiliating to have to tell you that our team did not win, although we held a respectable standing, second place, throughout most of the game.




Did I mention that there was drink taken?
Everyone got free drinks, courtesy of the company. Things got decidedly silly.



And I don't know how, but by some crazy fluke we managed to do better on the round entitled "The Jacksons" than on "Movie Quotes". But by the end of the night, we had accumulated a bonus prize that made it all worth it:



And in the spirit of trivia and giving, I am going to ask my reader one of the questions from the "Riddles" round last night. The reader who puts the correct answer in the comments will get a little Irish gift basket from me in the mail. If more than one person answers me correctly, I will let Edmund choose the winner AT RANDOM. It will be a totally blind drawing. You're just going to have to trust my fairness on this one. I am a very fair person.

So the riddle is:

You are snowed into a cabin which is freezing cold and pitch dark. You have a single match, a candle and a woodburning stove. Which do you light first?

Please answer by 12 am, midnight, Tuesday October 27 (Pacific time). One entry per person please. I will announce the winner on Wednesday. Please make sure to leave your email address with your answer so I can get in contact with the winner. That is all. Thank you very much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The match, of course!


Your #1 Fan

Anonymous said...

i'm going with the match since you cant light anything else without it.
love, meshea

Anonymous said...

i'm going with the match, too! this almost happened to me in colorado a week ago, but i won't post that story on your blog. it wouldn't be fair of me to blog on your blog. :) - stephanie

Not Sarah Jane said...

the match

Anonymous said...

The match. But to cover my bases, I would argue that you don't light a match, but strike a match. With that said, I would light the candle so I could see to find a piece of paper to light and put into the stove for warmth. Semantics. :)

Lauren

Jennifer said...

I'm going to say match, but it seems too easy.