Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How to Housewife Part 1

I've been thinking lately. In the interest of making this site well-rounded and not boring (Fine job so far, Alyse, I hear you say), and in the additional interest of improving myself as well as my readers, I am going to share some of the things I think you people need to know.

In brief (you all know this already, but have patience, someone I don't know might read this!), I finished college, got married to a man from Ireland, moved with him to Dublin into a small apartment, and became a housewife. Jobs are hard to find right now, especially if you plan on leaving for 3 weeks during Christmastime, so here I am. I spend an embarrassing amount of time online every day reading blogs, browsing home design sites, Etsy, eBay, etc. And I'm going to do it. The definitive guide to being a housewife. I'm going to give you the essentials in parts. Any input would be welcome too! It's no secret that I don't know everything.

Today's post started with this:




An apron I got from my Grandma's house. I don't know where it came from originally, but it was always in her dress-up box, and most recently it found its way into a garage sale pile, which is where I rescued it. Look at the colors! They are my current favorite color combination and I can't get over how good it's going to look with my avocado green appliances. When I get them. And oh yes, I will get them. Every good housewife needs to know how to cook a thing or two and bake a thing or two. If you know how to make one or two things well, you'll get the reputation for being a whiz in the kitchen, and a little boost to the ol' ego isn't going to hurt us, is it? When my things arrive from the big ol' boat, I will have a recipe box onboard, and I can't wait to fill it with the recipes I've collected since I've been here.

Start here: a recipe box and a totally retro apron.


Made To Order Recipe Box, Etsy, $18.00


Recipe Card Set and Martha Stewart Box, Etsy, $50.00


Retro Cupcake Apron, Anthropologie, $32.00


Plaid Utility Apron, Etsy, $30.00


The Lady's Apron, Anthropologie, $32.00

Start there. When you have the apron and the recipes, go grocery shopping. Then get back to me and we'll really get going. I'm only getting warmed up here.

No comments: