Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The end of the road

I have landed. Good news for all of you who griped about the scarcity of my posts while I was away, but look, I'm sorry, the castle I was staying in wasn't wired for broadband.
It wasn't easy for me to get back, by the way, mostly because I had to switch planes in that turbulent vacuum of all reason/efficiency/happiness, Chicago O'Hare Airport. And they lost one of my bags. (Predictably, the bag with all the expensive stuff that I actually care about in it.) I was scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 4:20 p.m. and leave at 6:30 p.m., giving me just enough time to collect my baggage, re-check it through customs, shuttle from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1, and hop on the plane. If I'm speedy.
Well, I was speedy, but it turns our that I didn't need to be, because they delayed my flight about 5 times, changing my gate just as often, so every half hour or so 100 people would shuffle en masse to the new gate, which was usually only 100 feet down the corridor. I began to think that somewhere there was a short, green little man in a very small room behind a computer and a surveillance screen, laughing maniacally. Going through my suitcase.
Here I am, though, in one piece, which I suppose is the important thing. I had a celebratory dinner of beef enchiladas with all the trimmings last night, and oh man was it good.
I will be blogging frequently again; hopefully I will get one knocked out every day.

No comments: